Saturday, August 30, 2008

Claire Huxtable

You know, I loved the Cosby Show growing up. I STILL love the Cosby Show. It remains to this very day the BEST show that television has ever seen in this country. PERIOD!! And watching this wonderful show as I grew something happened. I wanted to marry Claire Huxtable when I got older. Phylicia Rashad gave one of the best acting performances week after week over the course of 7-8 years. And though she was never truly recognized by her contemporaries and the industry (an emmy) I hope she understands and knows that she was always appreciated by at least one little black boy. And I know I wasn't the only one. I had a crush on Claire Huxtable and I am not ashamed to admit it. One could do a LOT worse. That's kind of why I like Michelle Obama so much. Michelle is like a real life Claire Huxtable. Obama is a very lucky man (not trying to take anything away from the man) and what's really, really cool about him is he knows it and has no problem admitting to it. Which is how true love between two people is supposed to be. This country needed to see such a strong display of love. And it really needed to see this kind of love between black people. Michelle and Obama, on so many levels, are so so needed right now. So, this is in celebration of Claire Huxtable, that wonderfully beautiful ideal to aspire to for so many young men, and to Michelle Obama, the real life equivalent!

Two beautiful women!

1 comment:

  1. Oh definitely, what I like about the Obamas is their sense of family. I think they're such a positive image for a family, inspiring not just to black people, but to ALL Americans.

    Unfortunately, I never did have a thing for Claire Huxtable growing up. Don't know why. Maybe because I viewed her as a "mother" figure. But I do see the correlation between her and Michelle Obama. As a kid I remember wishing that I had parents like Cliff and Claire Huxtable. The Obamas' children are lucky!

    ReplyDelete