Sunday, September 28, 2008

Healthyness (Spelled wrong on purpose, like the Will Smith movie.)

Just performed a random test of my physical fitness. I work nights and I have to do facility checks every once in a while. Well, on this particular check I saw one of the clients getting into the elevator and I knew what floor he lived on, so....I decided to see if I could beat him upstairs. Didn't engage the client or anything, just a personal race for me. Well the race was to the 5th floor. Well I beat the elevator by about two seconds. I was quite happy with myself. For the last couple of years I've been rather conscious of my health. I eat and drink relatively healthy. Whole Foods is my store! (The women in my life say I eat like a bird. Or a rabbit. I don't think so but they have their opinions.I know they love me.) I do not exercise as regularly and vigorously as I should but I'm active. I take Aikido, I've taken Karate and Tae Kwon Do in the past. In the Air Force I had to run. A LOT! Especially after this bullshit war started. I really do not enjoy running but I'm not bad at it and I understand the necessity of it. If I have to run for my life for any reason I want to be able to get away. Period. The fastest run I ever did was 2 miles in 9 minutes and 11 seconds. I'm still quite proud of that. Probably couldn't do that shit right now just to do it, but life on the line you bet your ass I'd pull it off. See, the one thing I know about me is my strength of mind over matter. I can consciously push myself past my physical barrier. I've done it on more than one occasion throughout my life. I love this capacity in myself. I know the excuses I use for not exercising are just that, excuses, not reasons, but I'm cool with that for now. I'm not complaining. I walk A LOT and though my schedule only permits me one night of Aikido, I take it seriously. My unhealthy doings are not a detriment to me because I don't do them on a regular basis. No bad habits. I like to drink. And I can drink A LOT and still maintain for a skinny dude. (I've surprised quite a few people with my drinking capabilities and yes, I'm proud of it. What?) I do smoke on occasion, which is bad any way you look at it, but hey, I like to smoke sometimes. I did let smoking become something like a habit once, though. Never forget it. 1996, Luke AFB, AZ, my first duty station in the AF. Some guys from my office wanted to play B-ball after work. I was like bet. Now, I didn't think about the effects of all the smoking I'd been doing the last year or so. Let's paint the picture: Single airmen, no car, stuck on base in the damn desert, little single room, with small paycheck. BORED OUT OF MY FUCKING MIND!!! I had my books and magazines and music to keep me occupied. Always had and will. But also I was smoking rather heavily. It wasn't even a conscious thing. I'd been smoking here and there, hanging with friends and whatnot. Got tired of bumming cigarettes so I started buying my own. And kept buying and buying and smoking and smoking. I was up to about a pack and a half a day. Fucking sick! SO, I was on a pack and a half for about 2 or 3 months now and I'm going to play basketball out of the blue. WELL, I'm running up and down the court and out of nowhere I feel my chest get extremely tight. Like someone clamped a damn vice to my ribs and was twisting them. I NEVER want to feel that EVER again. I quit smoking that day. Just quit. Threw the cigs I had away, didn't accept any offers of smokes from friends. Cold turkey, with no problem. It wasn't hard for me at all. I remember talking with my best friend, Ryodin (not his real name), about it and he remarked that I just didn't have an addictive personality, which I thought was cool. I don't. But yeah, I didn't touch a cigarette for a whole year. My friends were all like, "How the fuck do you do that?" I was like, "I don't like feeling helpless." I felt like a fucking weak ass retard on that basketball court that day. I promised myself never again. I keep my word. Ask my friends. So, I quit. But I did/do like to smoke, so I eventually started again but never like then. I will never smoke like that again. I don't really even have a desire to. Usually I only smoke when I'm drinking or other people around me are smoking, like at a party or something. Sad excuses, I know, but I'm honest with me. I'm in better shape than the average person, so I'm good. My mental health is great. I love me!! What's your healthyness like? That all.

No comments:

Post a Comment